Twice a year, Southwestern Medical Clinic offers scholarships to qualified medical students, residents, or fellows with a strong interest in international or domestic Christian missionary medicine. Scholarship recipients receive grants for transportation and project-related expenses. The scholarships enable recipients to gain valuable clinical experience while serving in a medical missions capacity.
For more information about our scholarship program, please see the details below. To apply for a scholarship online, click here.
To provide selected medical students, residents, or fellows with clinical experience in a medical missions setting.
To be eligible for a SWMC Foundation scholarship, you must meet the following requirements:
- You must be a third- or fourth-year medical student enrolled in an approved US medical school.
You must be a resident or fellow enrolled in an approved clinical training program in the US.
- You must have a strong interest in international or domestic Christian missionary medicine.
Methods of Application
Our application process is as follows:
- SWMC reviews applications twice each year. Deadlines are June 1 and December 1.
- You must submit your application at least 90 days prior to the date of your intended trip.
- You must complete the on-line scholarship application.
- We will interview suitable candidates either in person, via telephone, or via on-line (SKYPE-type) interview.
SWMC will announce grant awards by email on or before July 15 and January 15. Grant amounts are for transportation and project-related expenses
The following conditions apply for all scholarships:
- Recipients must participate in a medical missionary preceptorship, clerkship, or service for a minimum of four weeks.
- Recipients must use the awarded funds for a trip that is to be completed within 18 months of the award date.
- Recipients are required to submit a typewritten or video report to the SWMC Foundation within sixty days after completion of the trip.
- SWMC may invite recipients to give a report of their experience in person at Southwestern Medical Clinic. The Clinic will cover relevant expenses.
References and Correspondence
The applicant will be asked to provide (3) THREE references. It is the applicants responsibility to communicate to those references, asking them to provide a letter of recommendation on business letterhead via email or hard copy..
All correspondence can be sent to the following address.
Southwestern Medical Clinic Foundation
2550 Meadowbrook Road
Benton Harbor, MI 49022
Phone - (269) 927-5143
Fax - (269) 927-5338