Twice a year, Southwestern Medical Clinic offers scholarships to qualified medical students, residents, or fellows with a strong interest in international or domestic Christian missionary medicine. Scholarship recipients receive grants for transportation and project-related expenses. The scholarships enable recipients to gain valuable clinical experience while serving in a medical missions capacity.
To provide selected medical students, residents, or fellows with clinical experience in a medical missions setting.
To be eligible for a SWMC Foundation scholarship, you must meet the following requirements:
- You must be a third- or fourth-year medical student enrolled in an approved US medical school.
You must be a resident or fellow enrolled in an approved clinical training program in the US.
- You must have a strong interest in international or domestic Christian missionary medicine.
Methods of Application
- SWMC reviews applications twice each year. Deadlines are June 1 and December 1.
- You must submit your application at least 90 days prior to the date of your intended trip.
- You must complete the on-line scholarship application.
We will interview suitable candidates either in person, via telephone, or via on-line (SKYPE-type) interview.
SWMC will announce grant awards by email on or before July 15 and January 15. Grant amounts are for transportation and project-related expenses.
The following conditions apply for all scholarships:
- Recipients must participate in a medical missionary preceptorship, clerkship, or service for a minimum of four weeks.
- Recipients must use the awarded funds for a trip that is to be completed within 18 months of the award date.
- Recipients are required to submit a typewritten report to the SWMC Foundation within sixty days after completion of the trip.
- SWMC may invite recipients to give a report of their experience in person at Southwestern Medical Clinic. The Clinic will cover relevant expenses.