Southwestern Medical Clinic (SWMC) Missionary
Team Member Code of Conduct
It is a privilege and honor to serve the Lord and the people He cares so deeply about around the world. SWMC has high expectations for what God will do in us and through us during each mission trip. As a team member, you are volunteering to be the hands and feet of Jesus, touching a world in need. We believe that God uses our mission trips to bless those we encounter and give team members an opportunity to grow in their own faith and view the character of God from a fresh perspective.
On all our trips, we look to God's Word to lead us, especially verses like Matthew 5:16 which says: "In the same way, let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in heaven."
Before, during, and after the mission trip, we are representing our Lord Jesus Christ as well as SWMC and our partner organizations and missionaries. Therefore, we have an expectation that team members will conduct themselves with the highest standards of integrity and in a way that is consistent with Christian love and respect. This conduct includes how we dress, how we speak, how we interact with our own team members, and how we interact with those we encounter and serve on the mission field. Our conduct is an important part of our testimony and reputation as an organization.
Team members must strive in every way, with reliance upon the Holy Spirit, to maintain an attitude and behavior that is Christ-like. The guidelines that follow are not only to assure that our team is effective in our mission, but are designed to keep all team members safe and to foster a positive learning and worship experience for all of us. In signing below, I accept the following conditions and I agree to:
1. Embrace a servant attitude. In dealing with my fellow team members and also those we encounter on our trip, I will honor and treat everyone with love and respect. I will have a willingness to work through conflict and disputes that may arise. I will work with a kind and humble attitude and be willing to ask for help. I will also be willing to help others when they are in need. I will not be critical of the host country or missionaries, remembering that I am there to support and encourage an established ministry. I will make an effort to understand the host culture and remember that my way is not always the best way. I will strive to be flexible and adjust my personal desires for the sake of ministry.
2. Make sure that my outward appearance and language reflect the character of Christ. I will be sensitive to cultural expectations for Christian dress and dress modestly at all times in the host country, understanding that it may require me to be uncomfortable. I will avoid profanity, insensitive humor, derogatory comments, and arguments about politics, religion, and race. I understand that inappropriate comments could undermine team cohesion or jeopardize our ministry's effectiveness.
3. Be sensitive to others by modifying my use of tobacco or alcoholic beverages while in the host country. Each host culture will have different attitude regarding these behaviors and I will seek guidance from my host or team leader if expectations are not clear. I will refrain from criminal activities including use of illegal drugs, vandalism, or stealing.
4. Understand that I am part of a team. I will participate in team meetings and meet deadlines as they are requested. I will foster an environment of team bonding by limiting my use of headphones and cell phones during team gatherings and come ready to participate in devotional and worship times. I will reach out to all members of my team, not just those I knew before the trip. I will work diligently in whatever tasks are assigned to me. I will respect the team leaders and their decisions, and I understand that all concerns should be addressed with them promptly.
5. Recognize that the host culture will look to me as an example of integrity. I will avoid any actions which might be perceived as amorous toward those I encounter during the trip. I will be careful in all conversations or social contacts with team members, missionaries, and nationals and refrain from intentionally seeking romantic relationships. I will also respect the host culture by seeking guidance from missionaries/local hosts regarding appropriate shopping/bargaining practices and gift-giving. I will not venture out alone but only with a group and with proper permission..
6. Understand that repeated and willful neglect of the above statements may result in my being asked to return home immediately at my own expense. By signing below, you are stating that you agree and will abide by the SWMC Team Member Code of Conduct during the mission trip dates and at all Pre & Post trip meeting and interactions.